Founded in 1978, the Studio Theatre underwent a major renovation and expansion in 2001. Housed within the Greater 14th Street Historic District in two historic auto dealership buildings built in the 1920’s, the renovation included major structural modifications including the removal of existing concrete columns to accommodate two new theatre spaces, and the introduction of a new atrium space.
The resulting design respects the historic nature and integrity of the surroundings while responding to modern-day needs. The final complex features two new 200-seat theaters, a new entrance lobby with box office, expanded administrative offices, costume and set design studios and acting classrooms. A two-story glass encased atrium forms the nucleus of the facility and acts as a glowing beacon to the street while connecting the original facades.